I’m not old by any stretch of the imagination, but since I graduated college I realized that I’m not a kid anymore. I’m constantly thinking about my body as more of a temple, and as less of a trash receptacle. When I think about treating my body kindly I go straight to thoughts of exercise, getting the right about of sleep, and eating healthy foods. I didn’t start to think about the quality of makeup I use as part of treating my body well until recently.
My friend Aubrey posted on Facebook that she had started working with Beauty Counter as a consultant and was offering free samples (who doesn’t love free samples?!) of the product. I was curious about it, so I asked her why she started working with them, and she sent me a link to this video. The way they talk about beauty products made me change the way I think about cosmetics and personal care products. Do yourself a favor, please watch the video. It’s really eye-opening.
Some highlights from the video:
“Over 1,300 toxic ingredients [in personal care products] are banned in Europe. Only 11 are banned in the U.S.”
“The United States has not passed a federal law governing the cosmetics industry since 1938.”
“I joined Beauty Counter to make better products for my three daughters and to create safer products for everyone.”
“Beautiful can be healthy.”
“The choices you make today will matter tomorrow.”
YIKES. I (like most women) wear a lot of makeup. Well, actually, sometimes I wear a lot of makeup. Sometimes I wear no makeup at all! My job requires that I come with a full face of makeup. It’s actually in the description of our uniform (crazy, right?). I think it’s safe to say that since I’ve been wearing a full face of makeup almost daily that my skin is NOT happy. But since I’ve been using my free samples (thanks to Aubrey and the team at Beauty Counter!) my skin has been much happier.
These are the samples I got (and I’ll go into why I love (or don’t love) each one a little later in the article) but first let me show you a peek inside my medicine cabinet. I’m always curious about what other people have in their medicine cabinet, so I thought I’d show you mine (eek!). I’ve found some things over the years that I love, and now I’m adding my Beauty Counter products to the mix.
Ooooookay! There you go! Not too scary, right? Well I feel super vulnerable about showing it all to you (who just shows the world their medicine cabinet?!). But I’m all about being an honest, full disclosure blog…so here you go!
Let’s start on the top shelf. (I don’t use these products much, except for the deodorant)
- Calcium Tablets – I took these with diligence when I was a vegan. I wanted to make sure my bones were protected!
- Advil – hangovers and headaches rejoice!
- Allergy Relief Pills– in retrospect, I think I just had a cold when I bought these, not allergies. I suppose that’s why they’re on the top shelf.
- Secret Deodorant – I have tried a bunch, but I really like this one.
Next, we go to the tall shelf. (All my tallest items live here)
- Dreamy Tangerini Lotion by Philosophy – I got this lotion for Christmas. I feel like Christmas is the time when people give you allllll kinds of lotion, and normally It just stays in a box in my closet unused, but I find if I keep it in the medicine cabinet that I’m much more likely to use it. Plus this one smells like a creamsicle. mmmmmmm!
- Purity Face Wash by Philosophy– I LOVE this face wash. It always gets off all my makeup (even if it’s waterproof), and leaves my skin feeling clean and clear. I was turned on to it by a friend and haven’t used another one since.
- Hope in a Jar Face Moisturizer by Philosophy– This face moisturizer is by the same people as the face wash I love (and the same people who make the lotion). When I find a product line I love, I really go all in!
- Cocoa Butter Skin Therapy Oil – THIS STUFF IS MAGICAL. I think I’ll do a whole post on it later. I’m really in love. It works wonders on scars. I had a friend who I asked about some scar-erasing-projects a few months ago, and she recommended this after her friend used it to erase the scars from a surgery she had. IT WORKS. Alright, I’m off the soap box for now. I’ll let you know when I’ve done a whole post about this magical oil though…
Tada! The tiny teeth shelf. (it’s a perfect size all the teeth cleaning ingredients you need!)
- Crest with Scope – I like to keep my pearly whites just that – white!
- Toothbrush – I don’t use any particular one (I find they’re all ok at their job).
- Easy Glide Floss – My dentist would be SO proud of me right now.
- Floss Threaders – I have a permanent retainer on my teeth (from having braces), so using these are the only way I can floss those teeth.
The bottom shelf. (It’s just there, providing me with things I need)
- Bobby Pins – I can never seem to have enough of these
- Beauty Counter Samples! – I’ll break them all down in a minute.
- Hair Ties – Again, I can never have enough of these.
PHEW. That’s over. Well I hope my medicine cabinet reveal has been helpful for you! I shared it as a way of showing you some of the things I already use! Now, on to the newest additions… the Beauty Counter samples!
First let’s start with the Beauty Counter Every Day AM Hydrating Cream. (Recommended use: once daily, in the morning)
I normally put on my moisturizer once a day – at night! I wash off my makeup and then put on my jammies and some face lotion and then snuggle up in my bed. I like that they gave me a sample of AM moisturizer, because it forces me to change that (bad) habit. This moisturizer is so smooth. I have noticed a huge difference moisturizing before I put on my makeup. I wake up, and the first thing that goes on my face is hydrating and soft. The product just feels lightweight and smooth. It makes my skin feel great. I’d buy this product in the future.
Next, on to the Beauty Counter Every Night PM Hydrating Cream. (Recommended use: once daily, at night)
Here we go! This is something I’m really used to. I love a good moisturizer at night. Normally I use a thick moisturizing cream (almost a moisture mask, if you will), but this is very light (similar feel to the AM moisturizer). Even though it’s light, I still feel like it really hydrates deep into my skin. When I wake up, my skin feels so refreshed (and ready for a nice bit of AM hydrating moisturizer!). I love this moisturizer, and would buy the product in the future.
Now, the Beauty Counter Gentle Exfoliator Polishing Cream. (Recommended use: two to three times per week)
So this product has the same light feel as the rest of the products (which after a week or so, I was really beginning to get used to and to love). It also smells really nice (have I mentioned that yet? All the products have a nice clean smell.). However, that’s where my praise for this product ends. While it smells nice, and feels smooth, I don’t think it does much. I didn’t really notice a difference in my skin using it. AND I tried to use it before I’d taken my makeup off once, and it couldn’t even take off my makeup. I just have a hard time believing it can exfoliate my skin and remove layers of grime if it can’t take off my makeup… Now with that said, I know it’s not a cleanser, but I still stand by that statement. While I love both of the moisturizers, I am not as big of a fan of this exfoliator. I would not buy it in the future.
Finally, the Beauty Counter Any Time Eye Cream. (Recommended use: Whenever. All the time. I love it.)
THIS PRODUCT. If you had the chance to only buy ONE beauty product from Beauty Counter, I’d recommend this one. I used this product and FELL IN LOVE. It is so smooth and lightweight and it makes your eyes feel like they are brand new! A little goes a LOOOOOONG way with this one too. My favorite part of it is that when you put it on your eyes, it doesn’t make them water even a little bit. I think one time I probably accidentally put it IN my eye, and they didn’t water. I suppose that’s a benefit of using ingredients that are good for you…they just feel great. My eyes are SO sensitive, so it’s nice to know I’ve found a product that will really take care of my eyes. I would definitely buy this product again. I think this one is going to be my next beauty purchase!
- I love that they’ve done the research so we don’t have to. That’s my favorite part. I can use it, and know that it all checks out. I don’t have to read labels or look up ingredients. But if I wanted to, they have all that information on their website! Each page lists all the ingredients used in each product! They make knowing this information not only accessible, but actually really easy! I love that.
- It’s from Santa Monica. It’s so funny that a friend in North Carolina had to introduce me to a Santa Monica based product! I love that I’m supporting a team of people who are near me. Go local businesses!
- Speaking of local business, I love that not only is this business local, but it’s also run by people who really seem to care! I think it’s so refreshing that the entire this line of products was made is so that the creators could make sure that there is makeup/skincare in the world that is not just beautiful, but also good for you. Wouldn’t it be nice if every line of makeup and skincare had creators who where as invested as our overall health and wellbeing as the people behind Beauty Counter?
- A little goes a long way. Who doesn’t love that? I think it’s so great that when I use an expensive product (let’s be honest…all makeup and skin care is more expensive than we want it to be) it lasts for a long time. Aubrey wrote me a little note (when she sent the samples) that said a little goes a long way, and boy was she right! It’s so refreshing to know that it lasts for a long time so you don’t have to spend as much money. A good quality product that lasts for a long time? I’d call that a win-win.
- I love how gentle the products are. We put our skin through so much on a daily basis, and while all the things I’ve mentioned are nice, the best thing about these products are how well they work. They’re soft and soothing and make you feel refreshed. I’m definitely a fan, and can’t wait to add the any time eye cream as a staple in my medicine cabinet.
Have you tried Beauty Counter products? Or do you have any go-to makeup or skincare products? Let me know your thoughts in the comments!
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."