I wish I was a perfect, happy girl every second of the day who never has any doubts or worries. A girl who never is sad, or seen with a frown on her face. However I’m a person, and not a robot, so it’s safe to say there will be days that I wake up on the wrong side of the bed, just like everyone else does. Today was one of those days, and after rolling over and catching another hour of sleep and still waking up grumpy, I was determined not to stay in a funk any longer! So I decided to write a list of things that could instantly put me in a better frame of mind, and make me feel better. A list of mood boosters! Hopefully some of these will help you if you wake up on the wrong side of the bed too. I’m already having a much better day. ♥
1. Take a Shower. I always associate taking a shower with getting ready and beginning a new day. So even if you’ve already been up for a few hours, taking a shower can lift your mood. You can “restart” you day and turn it into a good one. Think of it like washing away all the negativity.
2. Clean your apartment (this Includes doing the dishes). If you clean your apartment, you’ll be happier. I promise. You’ll be able to find anything you need quickly and easily. You won’t have to step over piles of things on the floor (be honest… sometimes it gets that messy, I know). You’ll look around and see space – clean, happy space.
3. Put on a pretty outfit. If you look pretty, you’ll feel better about yourself. Put on something with bright sunny colors. Throw on your favorite bracelet, or do something fun with your makeup, or both – go all out! If you feel good about your appearance, other good feeling will follow.
4. Think about the things you’re grateful for. Making a list of things you’re grateful for is hard when you feel kind of crappy. I save this for after I’ve done a few other mood boosters first. But then, when you’re starting to feel better think of all the wonderful things you have in your life. Even if you’re not exactly where you want to be in life, there are still so many wonderful things in your world, I know it! You might not have your dream job, or apartment, but there are other things to be grateful for – having clean water to drink, a roof over your head a close friend or family member, etc.
5. Make a plan for the day. One of the best ways to overcome unhappiness is to make a list of things to do to keep yourself busy. If you’re filling the day with lots of tasks and activities you’ll be really productive (which will make you feel great) AND you won’t have any time to dwell on negative emotions.
6. Do something that brings you joy. I don’t know what it is for you, maybe it’s drawing, or reading a chapter of your favorite book, maybe it’s painting your nails or making a fashion collage. For me it was writing this blog post. Writing here and sharing these tips with you brings me joy. I hope you enjoy them too!
7. Find some sunshine. Open your windows and let the light in. Let the breeze blow your curtains around and bring in the smells of summer. Go outside and take a walk around your neighborhood, listen to the birds chirping and stare at the sky. If you let sunshine into your life, there’s no way you can stay sad!
8. Exercise. It’s no secret that exercise creates endorphins. Plus, you’ll feel better about yourself (can we say hello dream body!?), and when you feel good about yourself that happiness touches other parts of your life too.
9. Eat something healthy. Make a gourmet sandwich loaded high with produce, or throw some beans and veggies together with a little olive oil for a raw “pasta-less” salad. If you feed your body well, you’ll be feeding your mind well too.
10. Smile. Even if you’ve gotta fake it till you make it, you will get back to happiness. Smiling will trick your mind into thinking you’re already happy, even if you’re not. A little positivity goes a long way!
Hopefully these 10 instant mood boosters will make you day a little better. Do you have a favorite tip to make yourself feel better when you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Please share it in the comments below! ♥
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."